Sunday, September 21, 2008

The clothes do maketh the man

Well - this post was inspired off a certain open ended statement I happened to post about trying to suit up for a corporate life style. Multiple unsolicited comments later, I came to realize that most people think I would never want to bind myself in the shackles of required dress codes.... hmmm... which also leads me to believe that the two available stereotypes I am probably pigeonholed under then are either lackadaisical absent-minded geek or granola eating tree-hugger. Having enough trust in people making good calls, I decide that is not a line of thought I want to take and instead focus in on the attire part.
Guess most of us are familiar with the oft-told tales of the Emperor's new clothes as well as a certain story attributed to Easwar chandra vidyasagar. I guess first impressions lasting so long is reason enough to alter them and "mislead" people into a portrayal they want to see irrespective of how quickly one wants to revert back to old habits when not under a focused examination! ... somewhere down that train, I also realize that "You clean up very well indeed" is an expression that is sooooo much more of a veiled insult than a compliment on ones Sunday best!

No comments: